The SOGC's mission is to promote excellence in the practice of obstetrics and gynaecology and to advance the health of women through leadership, advocacy, collaboration and education.
The SOGC believes that:
- Women should have equitable access to optimal, comprehensive, culturally-safe health care provided with integrity and compassion;
- Women should have the knowledge they need to make informed choices about their health;
- SOGC members have the right to practice in a safe and supportive environment;
- The practice of obstetrics and gynaecology must be based on the best scientific evidence available;
- The Society has a responsibility to facilitate change in relation to health system issues affecting the practice of obstetrics and gynaecology;
- Every woman has the right to optimal care during pregnancy and childbirth to ensure the health and safety of both the mother and her baby.